Laneway Home Vancouver – Why Laneway
There really are so many great reasons to build a lane or coach house:
- Extra income and immediate cash flow from short or long term rentals
- You want your children to live in the city
- A retirement residence for yourself
- Enhancement of city laneways
- Sustainable development and preservation of existing neighborhoods
- Office or small business space, subject to zoning rules
Building a laneway house is one way people can get a great home in the city, that they’d otherwise have to move much further away to afford. They are also a smart investment from a purely business sense. Depending on your location in the city, you would easily be able to collect rent anywhere from $1800- $2300/month, and even more if it is furnished. If your tenant is a family member, you get the triple benefit of being close to family, having a true sense of privacy and enjoying a cash positive position.
Zoning bylaws: do you qualify for a laneway house?
Minimally, your property must be zoned rs-1 or rs-5, and be at least 10 metres (32.8 feet) wide. If your property is in another zone (like rt-10) it may qualify for an “infill house” which is often allowed to be built much larger than a laneway house.
You can check out your property details on the city of Vancouver’s van map.
The setbacks from the lane and side yards vary depending on the zoning, so it’s worthwhile giving us a call or sending us an email to find out more.